We invite you to join us on a journey this year that will lead to rewards of learning more about your City, as well as fun for the whole family!
Check out our Passport program below and see how you can enjoy Laurel’s 150th Anniversary with your family, neighbors and ,friends!
Be sure to get those Passports stamped at each event you attend, because we will have prizes for different age categories at the end of the year and we want to make sure YOU have every opportunity to participate!
How the Anniversary Passport Works
The Anniversary Passport is your guide to all of the Anniversary events throughout the City during our 150th Year in 2020! Anniversary Passport events are designed to showcase Laurel through our many organizations, businesses, City Departments, and special events designed for the anniversary year. There are two ways to record your participation in the celebration: a souvenir Passport Book and our Virtual Passport! At the end of the year, you can enter the Passport Contest for a chance to win a prize. See Contest Rules below.
It’s simple to participate! Pick up/bring your Passport Book or mobile device to every Passport event that you attend. Look for the Anniversary Ambassadors at each event. For Passport Book holders, the Anniversary Ambassador will stamp your passport twice (once on the event page, and once in the middle on the Contest Entry Form page). For Virtual Passport participants, look for the unique QR code at the Anniversary Ambassador’s table, scan the code, take a selfie and you are done. It’s that simple!
NOTE: You can participate either with a print Passport Book or by Virtual Passport. You may not combine both formats for your contest entry – so if you start with a print Passport Book your submission must be a hard copy form. Likewise, if you start with the Virtual Passport, your submission must be electronic.
Get a Passport Book
Passport Books will be available beginning January 13, 2020, at the first Mayor and City Council Meeting of the year! You can start getting your stamps on February 2, 2020, at the Laurel Museum Exhibit Opening, from 1 – 4 p.m., 817 Main Street. Beginning February 3, Passports will be available during normal business hours at the Laurel Municipal Center, 8103 Sandy Spring Road, and at all Passport events through April 2020. Quantities are limited, so if you would like one of the hard copy Passport Books, the person or persons picking up the book MUST be present. Get your passport early and begin collecting stamps!
Use the Virtual Passport
Look for the unique QR code at the Anniversary Ambassador’s table, scan the code, take a selfie and you are done. It’s that simple! Your passport check-ins will be tallied automatically at the end of the year, no need to submit anything else!
Passport Contest Rules
There is no cost to enter or win. Prizes will be selected from individuals with the highest number of authorized passport stamps on their passport entry form.
- Eligibility: The contest is open to all individuals, with the following exceptions: City employees and members of any Anniversary Committee are not eligible to win a prize.
- Agreement to Official Rules: Participating in the Passport Contest constitutes entrants full and unconditional agreement of the Rules and the decisions of the Passport Committee are final.
- Contest Period: The contest begins on February 2, at the first Official Passport Event, and ends on December 12, following the last official event. Entries must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. December 18, 2020.
- How to Enter: One entry per individual (Passport Book or Virtual Passport Entry)
- Passport Book Entry: Submit the completed entry form (from the center of this PASSPORT) to the Laurel Municipal Center, 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD. Entry forms may be dropped off at the front desk or in the brown Drop-off box outside the building.
- Virtual Passport Entry: Click the “Submit Virtual Passport Entry” button on the Virtual Passport page of the Anniversary Website at https://150.cityoflaurel.org/passport/virtual
- Prize Drawing: On January 11, 2021 the winners will be selected in a random drawing. Three prizes will be awarded in each of the following age categories: 12 and under; 13 – 20; and 21 and over.
- Notification of prize winners: Winners will be notified prior to the first City Council meeting on January 11, 2021. Public notice will occur at the meeting, and winners are encouraged to attend.